Monday 23 September 2013

LFW SS 2014 The Bernard Chandran show collection





My favourite dress...
Signature piece, the native Malaysian influence of Chandran in evidence here....

Connie waiting outside freemasons Hall for the Bernard Chandran show SS 14 collection in London's fashionable Covent Garden....

BERNARD CHANDRAN

Bernard Chandran was born and raised in Kuala Lumpa, Malaysia and graduated with a Bachelors degree in fine arts from the Paris American Academy. Chandran is best known for taking inspiration from his rich cultural heritage. He was the first to adapt the traditional Malay “Kebayas” and “Kurungs”, turning them into modern and wearable outfits.
His collection for SS 2014 London Fashion Week really demonstrated his cultural influences. Beautiful rich colours associated with royalty such as deep purples, blues, bronzes and golds adorned this collection.  Models wore headpieces and bindis, further demonstrating Chandran’s Malaysian influences. A very modern collection we loved the pleats and structural features that varied with each individual piece.


Bernard Chandran short post show chat:

Where do your influences come?
Back at home. From the royal family, where they have boundaries but they are also trying to push it. In Kuala Lumpa they have 9 royal families.

Where did you study?
In Paris....I loved it there but thrive on the innovation of London.

Would you like to work for a big company like PPR or LVMH
If the deal is good is good and my designs were not compromised , yes I would work for either, it would be an honour!

What was your favourite piece?
Each piece in my collection I see as my children, so all of my children are amazing! But my favourite piece was the cream silk asymmetric dress in textured silk as it reflects where my inspiration began.

Copy Connie Hateley
With thanks Amelia Gregory for the photography